Thursday 19 January 2012

The Heir Chronicles by Cinda Williams Chima

The Heir Chronicles is a trilogy surrounding the world of the Weir (that's magical beings to you and me). These are people with Weirstones, allowing them to have capabilities beyond what is usually possible. There are five types of Weir: Wizards, Warriors, Enchanters, Sorcerers and Seers.

These three books focus on three young people each belonging to a group of Weir, and the events surrounding them.

Now these books are apparently for ages ten and up, which is why I could so accurately predict what was going to happen presumably. Although with the amount of death threats and actual death in these books I would probably not give them to a ten year old to read.

The themes surrounding this set of novels were simple: Relationships, Trust, Strength and Courage, Life Struggles and Overcoming Evil.
These are the kind of themes I very much enjoy, but sometimes find lacking as they are used over and over in books, especially of the fantasy genre.
But these books did not dissapoint me. The characters with these ideals were well rounded and I did feel something for the characters, although I would say not as much as I have for other characters.

There was one character in particular that I loved, and for those of you who have read this trilogy, or are yet to read it, this character is Jason. Definitely my favourite. I can't say much else otherwise I will definitely spoil the plot.
Which reminds me, the plot was good, if predictable quite a lot of the time, but younger readers would probably find it less so and therefore enjoy the suspense more. As it was, the only suspense I had was wondering what else would happen inbetween finding out major plot points.

Although at times I found myself wavering on boredom, over all I would say that this is a good set of books, to be enjoyed mostly by younger readers, but young adults would also enjoy it.
For that reason I give it three and a half stars out of five.

----------------------------------------------
- Apparently there are two more Heir Chronicles yet to come out, but this works as a trilogy. But I will be reading the next two books :).

Wikipedia Page (WARNING: PLOT SPOILERS)
Fantastic Fiction Review
Need more opinions? Here's Good Reads on The Warrior Heir.

No comments:

Post a Comment